Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Headed to the Big Apple



The Muthaship is away. Wow it was heavy. Don't know how we got it on the truck. My show is in less than two weeks and I can’t help but get a little nervous. When you do a big solo show you’re sort of putting yourself out there to have your work judged. Will people like the work? Will it be a good show? Will each piece relate to the next to make it a cohesive viewing experience? Will the show’s theme come through?

In the end none of that really matters as long as it feels right to the artist. That’s how I try to look at it. The real question is, Is it up to my own standards? I think so. I’ve worked hard and it’s been both physically and mentally draining but I feel good about each piece. I feel like I broke new ground and discovered some new ideas. The work is evolving which is a good thing.



I’m leaving for NYC in a week. NYC is awesome, huge, mindblowing, and at the same time can be boring and cold (not talking about temperature). Maybe I've been there too many times. Maybe I'm jaded by it all. I think today I'm just tired. As my work comes to an end all I feel like doing is sleeping and being lazy and watching movies with Jennifer. New York awaits and I am indeed looking forward to it, but here's more work to do setting up so it's gonna be far from a vacation.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Jim Houser's work for his asobviousasaskull show. Jim is the real deal man. If you're in NY, come out and say hi to us both.

Besides my solo there's another show I'm in- actually two, next week. First is "Fighting 4 Dreams" a one night art show at at 111 Minna Gallery. My friend and longtime graf buddy Maxx242 has organized it along with Real and Juxtapoz. I have a few pieces on paper in the show. I wish I could make the opening but I'll be in NY. Check it out if you're around.



The other show is Scion Installation- "It's A Beautiful World" A travelling group show with a bunch of artists. It will be opening in NYC September 7th, the night before my opening and I'll be coming by to say hi.



Just had Shannon's birthday party... 2 years went by at lightspeed. Damn. The party was fun and we got a jumper, mexican food and tons of sweets.





Shannon getting all New Wave on us...



Nacho is handsome even though he has slightly googly eyes...



Alright, New York here I come. I'll make sure to take lots of photos...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip, man. Love the potato stamp on the shipping crate.

Anonymous said...

One way or another, MR.LETTERMAN will be in New York City to say "HI". :).

Mr.Letterman.

cg said...

hey Jeff, I noticed the "Scion" opening that you linked to is actually on Thur Sep 6 (2 days before your's) based on what it says at the link.

I'm planning to make one or both of the nyc shows - will look for you & introduce.

Anonymous said...

Hey brotha...

I reallllly love that painting with the rainbow and the wings droppin' the bomb. Amazing man. If you happen to make any prints of it I'm going to break into your house and/or studio and steal one!

Have fun with Corey in NY. I'm jealous!

<3 Love TimKaren

Andrew Marathas said...

haha Yeah, that Muthaship is a bit intense. I definitely know how that is, moving a ton of work for a show. Have a nice time in NY.

Also, when you get a chance, check out the work in my blog. You came to visit Montserrat at the beginning of last year and basically acted as the catalyst for me discovering an extremely fun way to work. I'd love some feedback.

Levon Jihanian said...

hope you have a blast in NY

Souther Salazar said...

hey jeff...have a great show! george clinton would be proud of that muthaship. looking forward to checking out the pics...wish I could be there.

Anonymous said...

so hyped for the show :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there Jeff, So you remember Alejandra, that spanish girl that went to your show in NYC?. Well, she gave you a web adress and she made a little mistake: The real adress is:

www.mrletterman.es

not ".com".

She told me the show is amazing. Congrats. :).

MR.LETTERMAN.

luvyatoo said...

Man, hope the opening went well. Looks like it did with so many pieces marked sold on the Jonathan Levine site. Really into 'Apache Summer' - its both sad & compelling.

Hope to Escape To New York to see the real deal before the 6th.

Patrick Auletto said...

I can't wait to see your show in NYC.

Chonny Sanchez said...

Was at the opening...just wanted to express my continual amazement with your work. Incredible stuff. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Patiently waiting for an update from your trip to New York!

Basically I'm wayyyy too lazy to call you :O

<3 Tim